Sunday, February 28, 2010

Shaking Ground

Everything we have heard on the news is everything that is going on with the aftermath of the earthquake in Haiti.

Personally, I find this ridiculous. I think its great that the united states has so many people that we can send more people down to Haiti to help out with the relief efforts. But I do not think that all of the fundraisers and everything helping them out is worth it.

How come when an hurricane strikes a city in the United States it takes us three days to get water to the Super Dome? What happens when a states infrastructure is completely destroyed and there are still efforts to try and rebuild from a hurricane that struck 4 years ago? Nothing, America sees only things that will help us as a country keep moving. When a state with hundred of people displaced on our own soil we can not help them. But instantly when we hear about the earthquake in Haiti everyone is jumping on their feet ready to help them.

Now a Earthquake hits Chile, the same day President Obama has a speech that says that we are able and willing to send people down to help out to help start rebuilding. The same day. It took three days to get water to the Super Dome. Nothing was said about Hawaii possibly being hit by a Tsunami that could wipe out an entire state, we are worried about another country.

Dont get my wrong I love this country. And I love how things are done in this country, even though i disagree with things that go on sometimes, it is the fact that I have a say in things, the fact that I can email Paul Ryan and get an email back that doesnt seem like it was generic.

But the thing I dont love. Is the fact that no one in power sees that people in their own country need help with things. This has been an issue for ever, forigne affairs should not over take the issues on our own soil. Fix what is going on here on our turf first. Then move on to the issues around the globe. We are the greatest country on the face of the planet, but right now that is just a facade.

I think that it is great that we can and will send people to help out with anything around the world. But i think that we are going to burn ourselves out and to me that is a scary thought.

Fix what is going on here in the country, then go and help earthquake victims. Because people will start to depend on us, when that happens and sometime we cant deliver, well then I think we are going to be having quite the problem on our hands.

People that I talk to agree with me. But apparently Washington does not.

Let me know what you all think?

No comments:

Post a Comment